I heard earlier today that someone in Brattleboro had signed up for, and received a free cell phone with free monthly minutes included. The person who was asked to help activate this phone today, asked me if I knew about any such program.
The only thing that came to mind was a monthly credit (that came directly from the service provider) called "Lifeline". The application for Lifeline credits at one time was included in the state income tax booklets but I haven't seen hide nor hair of any such application for several years now.
So, I did some research and at first, it appeared that Vermont was not one of the states included for these free phones and free monthly minutes (government sponsored). So, I dug a little deeper and found it is true; and there is a way to apply for this online (although I'm sure it can probably be done through the mail as well, I didn't keep digging to find out)
Here are the qualifiers, copied directly from the internet: ( and only ONE free phone per household is allowed )
Unfortunately, there is only one Lifeline free cell phone provider in Vermont:
You may be eligible if you receive benefits from any of the following programs:
- Food Stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- National School Lunch Program (Free Lunch Program Only)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Reach Up
You may also can qualify based upon your Total Household Income:
- 65 and older; household income was less than $27,142.50;
- Under 65; household income was less than $23,265.00.
And lastly.. here is the website where one may go and apply. Be aware that proof is needed along with the application but it can be uploaded, photographed or otherwise copied, or emailed, faxed or sent through USPS.
Start by entering your email address and zip code into the big orange ball at the top right of the page.. the rest will be more obvious: Go here: https://qlinkwireless.com
I just ordered mine and received a confirmation email from Q-link.