Book Report: INFIDEL by Ayaan Hirsi Ali Hi! I just read this book, "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, which was gruesome in detail, so be prepared.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali wrote this story about her life, starting in Africa, where she was born a Muslim of Islamic religion, on November 13, 1969 in Mogadishu, Somalia.
She denies that the Muslim Islamic religion is "peaceful" and goes into chapter after chapter of detail.
(1) She explains, to my horror, how little girls are put on kitchen tables at about age 5 and their clitoris's are cut off and their female area is sewn shut so that when they urinate it comes out in dribbles. This is supposed to keep them from having any lust for a man. This included herself, she was "excised" (genital mutilation).
(2) She explains how she was walking down a street and a boy was being stoned by adults, and she walked on by. Public hanging, stoning and beatings were normal for Moslims or Muslims of the Islamic religion.
(3) She explains how her own mother frequently beat her, forcing her to lie on the floor on her stomach and tying her hands and ankles together, and then beating her with various objects.
(4) She explained how women were killed by their own family members if they didn't obey the Moslem or Muslim Islamic laws.
(5) She explained how women in the Moslem or Muslim community who adhere to the Islamic religion must marry a man chosen by their father or the most powerful men in their family clan, even if she has never met the man, and doesn't even like him. This happened to her. Marriage to first cousins on the maternal side of the family were common.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali explains how she managed to leave Africa and move to the Netherlands, and apply for refugee status,
only to find when she got there that the Dutch government in Holland did not believe that the incoming refugees
from Africa, fleeing internal war in Africa, were committing these horrors in the Netherlands, in Holland. They were fleeing war, not fleeing their religion.
The Moslem or Muslim people of Islamic faith, fleeing war, were taking their religious practices with them.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali took courses in the Dutch language and became an interpreter for the newly incoming refugees from Africa. She was only allowed to state exactly what the refugee said. She was not allowed to give the government interviewer her opinion. She knew that one of the refugees had worked for an African government torturing people, but she was not allowed to state that, as an intepreter, and she did not tell anyone.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali eventually became a Dutch citizen and was voted into Parliament. The Dutch did some research and found out that the refugees there were doing the horrid things she warned them of, right there in Holland!
She made a short ten minute movie with a friend about submission of women in the Moslem, or Muslim Islamic community; and her friend was murdered, and she moved to safety in the United States, starting with staying in motels in Andover, Massachusetts and Maine where the Dutch government paid to keep her with their bodyguards.
This is a very disturbing book.
INFIDEL by Ayaan Hirsi Ali,
Free Press, A Division of Simon & Shuster, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2007 by Ayaan Hirsi Ali